Korle Klottey Assembly suspends new burial permits, allows existing ones

Burial activities are continuing at the Osu Cemetery despite a directive from the Korle Klottey Municipal Assembly suspending burials following reports of illegal exhumations and the unauthorized sale of burial plots.
A visit by Channel One News to the cemetery on Friday found that interments were still taking place less than 24 hours after the Assembly announced the suspension.
Mourners, many dressed in black and others in black and white, were seen moving in and out of the cemetery, while newly dug graves stood ready for burial services.
The Assembly Member for the Osu Kinkawe Electoral Area, George Annan, told Channel One News that the burials involve families who obtained valid permits before the directive was issued.
He explained that the suspension mainly affects new burial permit applications, while families who had already completed the required procedures and documentation are being allowed to proceed under supervision.
A mourner, Aku Allotey, who had come to bury her loved one, appealed to authorities to take urgent action to resolve issues at the cemetery. She claimed her father’s remains were exhumed and that the family has been unable to locate his burial site.
Addressing allegations of illegal exhumations, the Assembly member said such claims are largely misconceptions, explaining that exhumations follow legal procedures and cannot be carried out arbitrarily.
He added that authorities plan to carry out a forensic audit of the cemetery to investigate reported irregularities and strengthen oversight.
He further noted that burial space permits are subject to renewal after a ten-year period, urging families to ensure their documentation remains valid while the Assembly works with traditional authorities to improve management of the facility.
Source: CNR




